Saturday 5 June 2010

Gargunnock Hill Race

5th June 2010

Results | Route on Garmin Connect


Given the tragic circumstances surrounding David Hay, who revived this race in 2008, but sadly passed away in January 2010, I thought I should make the effort to attend.


It seemed a waste of nice day to drive the short distance to Gargunnock, so instead Ellie & I cycled out via Lennoxtown, Fintry and Kippen. We arrived in loads of time to check out the closing stages of the route, before Ellie wandered off up the hill to sunbathe and take photos.

The race began in traditional fashion with a lap of the showfield, before launching out onto the road. I was happy to start slowly in the pack and jog up the road with clubmate John Denovan as the race began. Once we had turned more steeply uphill I began steadily picking a few folk off, and made a few places on the steep 20 minute climb.

Once we turned at the top though it was a different story, and I was dropping places all the way back to the road as Dave White, Alan Tait, Gary Fraser and finally John Denovan went past.

I thought if I dug in for the final kilometre I might be able to reel a couple in, but I couldn't find the necessary speed or resolve to catch anyone. I was pleased enough with my time of 36:37 though, given that before the race I'd predicted around 37 minutes.

No comments: