Wednesday 16 June 2010

Ben Sheann Hill Race

16th June 2010

Results | Route on Garmin Connect

Just back from the Ben Sheann Hill Race at Strathyre.

Thankfully the midges weren't quite so horrific as usual.

The Forestry Commission have obliterated the old route, so an alternative was needed and the race organisers duly spent the last couple of days hacking a rough track up through the forest. This provided a challenging steep ascent and a tricky descent.

I found myself slogging up the hill in close company with Gary Fraser, Des Crowe, Catriona Buchanan and Emma O'Shea. Once on the descent I gradually caught and passed Catriona and Emma, but got passed myself by Don Reid and Alan Gilkison of Westies, and lower down Gary Fraser of Ochils flew past with nimble feet.

The new route was 3.33 km according to my Garmin 405, which is slightly shorter than the old route, but underfoot it is a whole lot rougher, so my time of 31:48 was a bit slower than I've run on the old course.

The race winner was Adam Gatens of Westerlands with his first senior hill race win. Steven Fallon finished 2nd, and Alan Smith was 3rd.

In the women's race, Catriona Buchanan was first, finishing ahead of Emma O'Shea by the narrowest of margins.

No comments: