Sunday 6 June 2010

Ayr to Girvan bike ride

6th June 2010

Route on Garmin Connect

Today I decided to try out the Saugh Hill Race on the recommendation of Kerry Liam Wilson. Kerry had a great run yesterday to win the Stranraer Half Marathon in 1:13:55, with a lead of 7 minutes!

Anyhow, I decided to make another car-less journey to a hill race. This entailed cycling to Glasgow Central to catch the 11:00 train to Ayr, from where I pootled along various backroads the 22 miles to Girvan.

My route took me through Maybole and Wallacetown along nice quiet country roads surfaced with bone-juddering shattered tarmac and potholes. Perhaps the Royal Artillery use these roads as target practice.

What looked a straightforward ride on the map turned out far more wearing due to the appalling road surface, and the endless succession of choppy little hills. So I arrived in Girvan slightly more washed out than I would have liked for the race starting at 3pm.

No comments: