Sunday 19 July 2009

Pollok Park Run - Event 33

18th July 2009
Results

I took part in my first Pollok Park Run since January, and it was Ellie's first Park Run and her first ever 5km race. There was a pretty good turn out with 243 runners. I decided to conserve my energies at the start and tried to avoid getting swept up in the cavalry charge, but starting fast enough not to get trampled.

After the first 500 metres the wind quickly went out of the sails of most of the runners around me so I skipped forwards through the field and launched into the first little climb at 800 metres on a right bend and nipped past Rob Soutar and George Taylor to move up to 3rd position with the first 2 runners way out ahead by now.

For some strange reason I thought Rob was George and we battled along shoulder to shoulder until 2km at which point Rob opened a slight gap and George came past. At 2.7km where you link from Lap 1 to Lap 2 I had to shout Rob back as he was taking a wrong turn which allowed George to get a slight advantage. And from that point on I could never quite reel them back in, and Rob was always slightly behind George. So the 3 of us came in with George 17:22, Rob 17:25(ish) and me 17:30 for 3rd, 4th and 5th.

Ellie finished just ahead of Hamilton in 20:21 to Hamilton's 20:39.

Battling with Rob Soutar of Shettleston George Taylor of Giffnock Hamilton and Ellie
Photos courtesy of Gill Williamson, Eastwood Photographic Society

No comments: