Sunday 6 February 2011

Greenock 5-mile Road Race

Results | Activity on Garmin Connect

I thought this Greenock 5-mile Road Race looked like the ideal opportunity to set a 5-mile PB and finally get under 28 minutes. The route is flat as a pancake, and there was virtually no trace of wind. The only the problem was my legs were still pretty sore from yesterday's cross country, so I wasn't sure if I could last the distance.

I tried to set out reasonably conservatively around the initial laps of Battery Park, and sat in behind the Bellahouston trio of Russell Whittington, Greig Glendinning and Nick Reid as we left the park for the esplanade. Once we hit the promenade I could never quite get back up to Russell and Greig, but still tried to keep pace with Nick. This worked until the halfway point, but on the run back I could see the Bella guys were winding it up, or else I was fading.

Just before returning to the park I caught up with an Inverclyde guy and 2 young runners from Giffnock, but once in the park they all took off and I had no response. I could sense my target time was slipping away and put in a good effort on the final half lap of the park, but it was too little too late and I clocked 28:07 for 20th position.

Fairly annoying to miss my PB by 4 seconds, but I guess I shouldn't have expected much more after racing yesterday.

No comments: