Friday 6 August 2010

Tour of Clydeside: Bellahouston Belter 10k

Activity on Garmin Connect | Results

The 4th and final event of the Tour of Clydeside series, and my first 10k since Kirkintilloch back in June. The race follows 2 anti-clockwise laps of Pollok Park and is organised by Bellahouston Harriers.

Thankfully Ellie and I made the start of the race this time, and began with all the other runners. My main aims of the race were (1) to have a half decent run and perhaps get sub 37 minutes, and (2) to see if I could pace myself around the first lap behind Robert Rogerson and then take 12 seconds out of him in the last mile or so, since Robert was leading me by 12 seconds going into the final race. As it happens I got close to both of these targets, but couldn't quite dig out any sort of special performance.

Robert went off fast at the start and ran alongside Gerry Montgomery for the first lap and a half, whilst I paced myself with Jim Breen about 20 or 30 metres behind.

Once we went past the heilun coos for the 2nd time I thought it was about time to start making an effort. But as we left Pollok Park onto Haggs Road for the 2nd time, Gerry looked back and warned Robert that I was closing them down, and Robert had the displine never to look over his shoulder. As we hit the final kilometre I thought it's now or never and ran away from Brian Douglas of Bellahouston Harriers and started to really close down Robert properly, but I had left it too late and Robert crossed the line 2 seconds before me in 37:04.

It was a good close finish and 37:06 was a much better performance than any of the Polaroid 10k races earlier this year. I finished 8th on the night, and 5th overall in the series behind Adam Lee (Shettleston), Alan Derrick (Calderglen), Gerry Montgomery (Clydesdale) and Robert Rogerson (Kirkintilloch).

Ellie had a good run to finish as 3rd lady in the series behind Eilis McKechanie (HBT) and Pamela McCrossan (Clydesdale).

No comments: