Sunday 9 September 2007

Millport 10

9th September 2007
Results

Fun day out to Millport. Fairly cool and grey, but OK for running apart from the strong headwind in the 2nd half.

Aimed to start out steady, but got sucked into chasing a group of 4 comprising Kenny Richmond, Calum Morrison, Conor McNulty and David Phee. David Millar of Irvine had already disappeared off the front to eventually win in 50:51, followed by Alastair Morrison in 52:55. Before long I was also caught by Jack Brown of Cambuslang, and Mark Johnston of Edinburgh AC. I ran with Jack for a while, but once Mark passed they both sailed off into the distance.

I went through 5 miles in 27:25, but this had some wind assistance as I found out in the 2nd half as we turned down the west side of the island into the teeth of a gale (or that's how it felt). I could see Calum and Kenny not far in front, but wasn't really making any ground. Around 6 or 7 miles Conor McNulty faded fast, and I passed easily and then started closing on Calum Morrison. I carried on chasing him down hard but never quite caught him. Calum finished in 56:12, while I was 56:25 for 7th and 8th respectively. Still I was pleased enough to get a 10 mile PB by more than 3½ minutes.

Despite feeling quite unwell, Ellen managed to struggle round in 67:34 to finish as 3rd lady, holding off the 4th woman by 10 seconds. Toni McIntosh was 1st lady, with Alison Winship 2nd.

Race Route The Start Line The Start Neil Deerey, Giffnock North Russ Whittington, Bellahouston Euan MacKay, Garscube Toni McIntosh, Stockport Gus Cairney, Clydesdale Bella Group Alison Winship, Garscube Ellen Homewood, Westerlands

No comments: