Friday 22 June 2007

Cort-ma Law Hill Race

20th June 2007
Results | Photos

My first official hill race on the Scottish mainland since Ben Lomond on May 12th.

There was some controversy at the sharp end of the race where leaders Kenny Richmond and Matt Bell both crossed the fence and cut the corner after the gully, rather than returning up the fenceline to the stile. Since they apparently both broke the course record with this shortcut, they were both disqualified. This left Matt Williamson and David Riach battling it out for eventual race winner, and Matt got the better of David on the final descent.

I had been level with Matt and David at the summit of Cort-ma Law, but they both got away from me on the boggy section to Lecket Hill, where there was an unusual diversion to the cairn at the true summit. Angela Mudge also pulled away on this section with John Stevenson chasing.

I was passed by John on the descent to the gully, only to immediately pass him again on the climb back out. I wasn't making any ground on Angela. But come the final run in John passed me strongly again, and I managed to latch on just enough for him to pull me past Angela who set a new women's course record of 53:17.

Complete and utter midge hell in the car park afterwards.

Race Profile Race Route The finish

2 comments:

Nick Wright said...

Well done on getting 4th, Chris! I can feel a Westies membership coming on... see you soon... Nick

Chris said...

Thanks Nick!
You'd be welcome along at Westies any time you like.