Wednesday 14 September 2005

Slovenian Alpine Marathon

10th September 2005
50km / +1930m
Results | Photo Gallery | SAM Home Page

An interesting route from Preddvor to Jezersko in the hills north east of Tržič. I was leading the race after the first 2km, but steadily dropped off the pace on the 16km road section with sore calves. Once on the trail proper, the running was very wet, muddy and desperately slippery in places. Especially wearing road shoes.
At the finish, having not seen him for 15km, I managed to catch Klavdij Maraž in the last couple of metres with a mental sprint finish to beat him by 0.4 seconds - not sure if this was good race etiquette - I thought it might be worth it for a V40 podium place, but I finished 4th in category. I was 8th position overall of the 70 starters, and first non-Slovenian.