Sunday 14 August 2005

Sedbergh Hills Race

14th August 2005
14 miles / 6000ft
Results
After spending most of Saturday falling asleep and watching sport on TV, I decided to stop being so lazy and do a hill race on Sunday. As you can see, I forgot to clear enough memory from my watch, so the graph stops just before the long climb back up to The Calf. I caught a few people on the climb but most of them went by me on the final descent from Winder where after receiving completely duff advice, I fought through head-high bracken for several minutes, emerging exhausted and with barely enough strength to jog the last half mile of road to the finish.
My general run was dreadful and sluggish. I gave up after Castley Knotts when the three first ladies all passed me, and decided to treat it as a slow jog round the Sedbergh hills. Later on I did happen to pass the ladies again (Kate Beaty, Ruth Metcalf and Nicky Davies). But only just managed to stay ahead of Nicky on the last descent as I strongly suspect she didn't choose the 6ft high bracken-tunneling option.
Rob Jebb duly won the race after a sprint finish with Nick Sharp.
Rob Jebb leading Nick Sharp early in the race Rob Jebb leaving the summit of The Calf. Chris Speight and Pete Brittleton marshalling at the trigpoint. Rob Jebb climbing Winder. Where are the other runners? Me returning towards Winder Sedbergh Hills with cliff edge
Photos by Pete Jebb from fellrunner.org.uk

No comments: