Saturday 15 August 2009

Pollok Park Run - Event 36

15th August 2009
Results

My 3rd out of the last 4 Glasgow Parkruns.

The day dawned with torrential rain. Muffy, Ellie and I headed to Pollok Park but arrived over an hour too early so visited the delights of Pollokshaws for a nice quiet coffee, before heading back to the park.

Little did we know but this would be the biggest ever Westie turnout at the parkrun with Ana, Johannes and Beatrice arriving by bike and trailer, plus the marvellous Hutchinsons and Bertie 'Hamilton' Wooster. Even Drew turned up impromptu just after the race.

The foul early morning weather kept the numbers down on recent weeks, with only 183 runners. I set off fast but steady, and slowly worked to 4th place by the turn up the first hill, and then crept to 3rd and thought I was catching the 2nd placed runner (Martin Fishwick) during the first lap. However as usual I was caught on the descent, this time by David McElhinney of Inverclyde running his first parkrun. I rallied to pass David again on the climb at halfway, but during the 2nd half David and Martin both pulled away and maintained their lead, so I finished 4th in 17:35.

This was only 5 seconds off my PB, so I was quite pleased given that the course was awash with water and it was my 10th race in 15 days!

No comments: