Saturday 13 March 2010

Glasgow Parkrun No.64

Glasgow Parkrun website | Route on Garmin Connect

This morning I was thinking of cycling the Paisley and Clyde Coast Railway Path to Gourock when I found there are a whole bunch of route ideas listed on the Sustrans website. So anyhow, I followed the national cycle route 7/75 to Pollok Park (shown here on page 11), where it just so happened that the Parkrun was about to start, so I arrived on the startline around 9:27 just in time for Richard Leyton's pre-race spiel.

I set off as slowly as possible, on the first downhill stretch, then tried to ease into a rhythm on the flat section past the heilan coos. After 2 minutes I was wrecked and felt like dropping out during the first lap, but thought I might at least finish and try to get under 20 minutes. So I carried on plodding round, boosted by a shout from Grant Baillie at the end of Lap 1. During Lap 2 Toni McIntosh finally reeled me in just as I was trying to reel in Alan O'Rourke from Greenock Glenpark. I matched Toni for a bit and then let her go. But on the final hill I got a burst from somewhere and flew past her and Alan, and held them off to record 19:10 - a PW by almost a minute and half, but at least I got the heart and lungs working, and enjoyed the scone and cappuccino in the Burrell afterwards.

No comments: