Sunday 24 January 2010

Scottish Vets Relay

24th January 2010

Photos | Results

Today I went and watched the Scottish Vets Relay down at Strathclyde Loch. My right adductor was super sore after the Devil's Burdens Relay yesterday, but I was keen to go and try out my new Nikon 18-200mm VR lens that I'd been planning to buy for ages. The weather was pretty dull and grey, so it was a good test of the lens in poor light conditions.

The race started at 11am, and as I was driving out past Easterhouse in pouring rain I was in two minds whether to pull off at Glasgow Fort and turn around and go home again. But I persevered down the M74, and by the time the race started the rain had all but fizzled out.

Stuart Kerr finished the first lap in the lead for Kirkintilloch Olympians. On Lap 2, Ian Stewart of Carnegie moved up from 4th to 1st by overtaking Kirkintilloch, Kilmarnock (Scott Martin) and Carnegie B-Team (Iain Taylor). On Lap 3, David Millar ran the fastest lap (18:02) to overhaul Carnegie's Tommy Lawrence and gain the lead briefly for Irvine AC. Then on Lap 4, Andrew Wright once more took the lead for defending champions Carnegie Harriers by overtaking Alex Allardyce of Irvine AC. Keith Haining clinched 3rd place for Kilmarnock Harriers, with Carnegie B-Team 4th and Kirkintilloch Olympians 5th.

The women's race was won by City of Glasgow, followed by Helensburgh AAC, with Claire Heasman of Helensburgh running the fastest women's leg in 22:31.

No comments: