Saturday 10 May 2008

Ben Lomond Hill Race

10th May 2008
12.6 km, 980 metres of ascent
Results | Photos | More Photos

Very warm thirsty work. I was in desperate need of a drink by the summit climb.

Stewart Whitlie had an easy time of it, winning the race in 1:12:20 by more than 3 minutes from Andy McCall, who just pipped Des Crowe for second place. Bob Wiseman of Ochils finished 4th. My time from last year would have got me 5th place, but this time I felt rubbish and couldn't follow Des up the hill at all. Instead I slumped back down the field and felt like dropping out, but rallied enough to pick up a few places above the top gate, then tucked in with Jon Ascroft for the final climb to the summit ridge. Andy Birnie and I turned more or less simultaneously at the top. He pulled away slightly on the descent, but then I finally caught and passed him just above the bad step. My time of 1:21:26 was fairly disappointing, and 4 minutes down on last year.

Ellie had a great run, despite not being at all well before the race. She finished as first lady in 1:29:10, about 10 minutes faster than last year, and just held off a strong challenge by Val Houston at the end by 6 seconds.

Chris Ellie Ellie Simon Triger Ellie Val Houston Ellie and Val Loch Lomond Race Profile

No comments: