Saturday 11 March 2006

Lairig Mor

11th March 2006
Mamore Lodge to Fort William
14 miles / 1660ft ascent / 2270ft descent
Results
As a bit of light relief before tomorrow's Balloch to Clydebank Half Marathon, I drove up to Fort William for Lochaber's Lairig Mor Race along the final 14 miles of West Highland Way. I started steadily and only lead for the first mile or so, before I let John Hepburn and Peter Kennedy pull away from me. Next to pass was John Kennedy, followed by Michael Diver. I ran with Paul McLean for a while, before he dropped out with a twisted ankle. Three other runners passed, but I got 2 of these back in the second half, plus Peter Kennedy who faded badly. Two other runners caught me later on. The first was George Cairns, then near the end Niall MacBeath came storming through having a great run. I got a major kick up the arse when Niall arrived, and used him to get past Ken Rumgay before the final bit of road. I planned to drop Niall as soon as we hit the road, but in fact the opposite happened, and my sprint finish never materialised.
Somehow Michael Diver must have got lost, since he finished behind me, without me knowingly having overtaken him.
1. John Hepburn, Lochaber, 1:27:27
2. John Kennedy, Clydesdale, 1:28:48
3. Jason Williamson, Cosmics, 1:32:38
4. George Cairns, Lochaber, 1:33:48
5. Niall MacBeath, Lochaber, 1:35:14
6. Chris Upson, Westerlands, 1:35:26
16. Steffen Gorgas, Westerlands, 1:44:03
44. Christine Menhennet, Westerlands, 2:01:34
68 finished
Profile of the route Route Map Steffen approaching on the final road section Steffen Murdo McEwan limbering up for Mont Blanc Ultra Heather Calderwood of Clydesdale

No comments: