Tuesday 30 August 2011

Graham Clark 3.9-mile Road Race

30th August 2011
Activity on Garmin Connect | Results
Knockhill Racing Circuit
Tonight I ran the Graham Clark 3.9-mile Road Race on Knockhill Racing Circuit, organised by Carnegie Harriers.  There was a bit of a delay in starting due to 3 cars screaming around the track.

I'm not sure why with a name like Knockhill I was thought the route would be flat, but my plan was to aim for 7 minutes per 1.3-mile lap. I set off reasonably fast, and clocked 3:03 for the first kilometre, albeit it was mainly downhill. I was then leading for the first mile, but could hear footsteps gaining and realised I was being closely tracked by 3 runners - Chris Russell of Fife, Roger Clark and Ewan Jack (the "world's fastest doctor") sporting a Central AC vest.

Chris Russell and Roger Clark went past before the end of the first lap, so I was left running with Ewan for the 2nd lap, and I suddenly felt very tired. I couldn't quite imagine how I was going to complete a 3rd lap at this speed, so I decided my only option was to be slightly tactical.  At the end of the 2nd lap I backed off a fraction and allowed Ewan to open up a small gap, thinking I could get a rest and then chase him down at the end. However, once the gap had opened I realised I wasn't that bothered about catching him any more, and was more concerned about holding onto 4th spot.

I reckon I could probably have caught Ewan with slightly more effort, but finished 4 seconds adrift in the end.  Anyhow, it was good little race, and far more challenging than I'd anticipated. And for the record, my splits were 6:48, 7:17, 7:17...  so I probably hammered off a bit too fast on the 1st lap.
Knockhill Racing Circuit

Elevation Profile
Kilometre Splits

No comments: