Wednesday 29 July 2009

Killin Highland Games

29th July 2009
Results | Photos

Last year, Steven Fallon had strongly recommended the Killin Highland Games hill race, so I thought I would head up and find out what all the fuss was about.

I arrived in Killin on a Wednesday afternoon with heavy rain and low cloud, and a muddy field awash with squalling bagpipe players.

Luckily the rain eased off for the run. Lochaber runners Colin Donnelly and Tom Smith belted off in the lead on the first climb, followed by Ben Stevenson, who turned out to be doing the junior race, then Steven Fallon and I were exchanging places in 3rd/4th place. At the summit turn I was a lying 4th and Steven rapidly opened a gap and disappeared on the descent. I was then caught by Iain Anderon of Kirriemuir and tried to keep up, but fell up a couple of times on the slippery ground, and so eased off and pottered off the hill in 5th place in 26:25.


Photo courtesy of Steven Fallon

No comments: